Friday, March 26, 2010

Holiday Travels 1--Dublin for St. Patrick's Day



At the end of Hilary Term, a group of Americans went to Dublin to celebrate St. Patrick's Day in the proper Irish fashion. We left Oxford on Monday, March 15th and arrived in Dublin safe and sound. We checked into this pretty nice hotel about 30 minutes outside the city center which ended up costing less than a hostel in town, and then we set out to explore the city. On the first day, we went to Trinity College to see the Book of Kells, which kind of made me feel nostalgic; I do miss Medieval literature and manuscripts, even if the tutorial itself was an emotional trauma-- (Flash back to "Point taken, however..."). We then went to the Guinness storehouse where I got to see how my favorite stout comes to life. Our group also walked around the Temple Bar area of Dublin that evening which is filled with moody cobble-stone pedestrian streets; I loved it. The next day we visited the Oscar Wilde house where Wilde was born and where his mother lived, followed by a visit to the National Museum of Ireland. We also visited Christ Church Cathedral, which was pretty, the Irish Writer's Museum, and the Irish Film and Photography Center. Good, clean fun--I swear. By the way, all photos are courtesy of Hayley McGee! I would upload some of my photos, but I kind of left my camera in Nice. I'm a genius, I know; truly, I have everything sorted in my life. I'll blog about Paris next when my friend, Jennifer Yun, posts some pictures from our French adventures!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhhhh, what's this? "... I would upload some of my photos, but I kind of left my camera in Nice. I'm a genius,..."

    P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know! I left it in a locker in my room in a hostel in Nice. I've e-mailed them, but no response yet, and my phone doesn't want to call France...I'm working on getting it back, though! At least, I hope...

    ReplyDelete