Saturday, September 26, 2009

Immaculate Morning

This morning was such a brilliant one that I have to blog about it. I made a list of what I needed to get accomplished this morning, which consisted of getting my mobile (the English word for "cell phone") and buying some texts--The Riverside Chaucer and The Poems of Pearl Manuscript. I woke up this morning at 7:15am to a gorgeous overcast sky, got breakfast, and then Hayley and I went into town to run our errands down on Cornmarket Street. I picked up my mobile, and then we went around to Broad Street to Blackwell's Books--this multi-storied book store! It was a little bit of Mecca mixed with Christmas Morning. I found a second hand copy of The Poems of the Pearl Manuscript and my copy of Chaucer, so I was a very happy camper. I have a lot of reading to do before my Medieval Tutorial starts! After Blackwells, Hayley and I decided to walk through Christ Church Meadow before lunch, which was a great walk.





For lunch, Hayley and I met our house director/warden, Dr. Bagley, as well as Danielle for lunch at the gorgeous Radcliffe Camera. There is this restaurant in the cellar of the cathedral of St. Mary the Virgin, which is right next to the Camera, where we ate amazing chicken in this creamy sauce over a bed of salad. The outside tables were by gravestones, since the restaurant is part on cathedral grounds, so in a way, we dined with the dead this afternoon. It was an absolutely fantastic day!

3 comments:

  1. Your looking well "young chap" I'll be following your amazing adventure on your blog. My advise, be adventurist but be safe. Life is but a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it sounds like you are making the most of every second. What a fantastic experience and I look forward to new entries as you move along. Grandma Betty, Uncle Kelly and I love you and hope you have a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that restaurant! Did anyone try tea and cake? Yumyumyum...

    ReplyDelete