Tuesday, September 15, 2009

An Introduction

Hello, my name is Jarred Wiehe, and you have found the beginning of an electronic chronicle (um, an electronicle?) of my upcoming academic year. IN ENGLAND! Right now, I am a third year English major at Columbus State University, which basically means I'm a Southern word-nerd/tweed-dweeb.
I will be spending this year abroad, studying British Literature at Oxford, and I want to document my growth as a student, scholar, and person, so this blog came into being. I'm thinking of it as a bildungsroman--a self-developement novel--only in blog form. A bildungsblog? (And, like my favorite self-developement novel, The Catcher in the Rye, this blog will probably be very stream-of-consciousness.) Anyway, I want to present an honest experience of crossing cultures, specifically looking at the differences in higher education between the United States and Great Britain, as well as the daily challenges and rewards of living in another world.
I had a rough time thinking of a name for this experience, and I finally came up with "The Way He Travels." When I pitched this name to a friend, she enthusiastically responded, "Yes! I love it! I mean, how many people's last names are homophonous with 'way he,' right?" I'm glad she approved; I'm also glad she used "homophonous" in a sentence. I hope you will follow me on this transcontinental journey, and vicariously experience the way I travel. Please leave me any comments, questions or concerns that you may have--really, I'm like a suggestions box. Well, the UPS man has just arrived with my visa, which is good because I leave in one week!

No comments:

Post a Comment