Tuesday, October 13, 2009

It's Like Harry Potter!

Sorry for the lack of posts, but last weekend was insane! On Friday, Regent's Park has a formal dinner in the dining hall where the lights are dimmed, candles are lit, and everyone is in their academic robes. Oh, yeah, I have academic robes now called a"subfusc." Not entirely sure what that name means, but it makes me feel like I'm in a Harry Potter film. The entire night was gorgeous. Underneath our little swaths of robe, we wear something very "smart," that is to say, something nice. The food was spectacular. Regent's Park actually has a five star rating for it's dining quality, and after Friday night, I believe it. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire evening! I have to dash off to a lecture on "The Poetics of Chaucer," so I'm going to leave you with this picture of me, Hayley, and Danielle before formal hall. Have a great day--I know I will!

1 comment:

  1. 'To whom shul we compleyn?': The poetics of agency in Chaucer's complaints if the speakers of Chaucer's complaints are not autonomous selves, neither are the objects of their grievance - Fortune, pitiless beauty, the age of Saturn, the God of Love - merely imaginative constructs. Most of Chaucer's complainants insist, with Mars, "That yf a wight shal pleyne pitously, / Ther mot be cause wherfore that men pleyne" (Mars 156-57). Seeking such causes in a lady who may intend them no harm, in time or mutability, in a God whom they are reluctant to blame, and occasionally even in themselves, they recapitulate in some measure the original medieval quest for the cause of misfortune, the Consolation of Philosophy.

    I'll have to re-read the Canterbury Tals now; seems a bit more complicated than I remember.

    Pops - Stay Safe

    ReplyDelete